Friday, August 10, 2007

Our First Birthing Class

Brian and I had our first "Preparing for Childbirth" class last night and it was quite an experience! First, we show up empty handed and immediately notice that every other couple did their homework and brought two pillows and a yoga mat. I swore to Brian that no one had informed us about this, but was busted when he pointed out the instructions on our registration form. I do recall thinking when we were walking down the hall to our classroom that maybe we were supposed to bring something besides our giddy selves.

Next, we start the breathing exercises. After the teacher showed the dad's how to lead the mom's using hand motions it was time to shine. We turned to our spouses and let them take the lead. However, my poor husband was flushed and all confused. Instead of putting up the three fingers for the three "hee, hee, hee's" and then closing his fist for an exhale, he kept putting up more fingers until I thought he was waiting for a high five. Poor guy never got it completely right and we were giggling like school kids. All in all it was such a fun night although I don't know how fun it will be in labor and delivery when we realize we did not retain a single thing!

7 comments:

Donna said...

That's hilarious! When we took the class, ROy and I couldn't stop laughing. The other couples were so serious and into the breathing thing. We felt so stupid and were giggling like kids. The instructor didn't like it, but we couldn't help it! Honestly, though, when you're in labor you don't use those silly finger/breathing exercises!

Amy said...

I'm glad we aren't the only ones that couldn't keep it together during the breathing exercises. They really are funny!

the mathisons said...

I'm excited for you Amy! I don't know about you, but I got queasy from watching the birthing videos.

Amy said...

Hi Kelly! I haven't seen the videos yet, but I've heard they are not so pleasant. I loved your slide show of Reese!

Unknown said...

Amy, ahhhh that brings back memories. Max and I were convinced we were going to get kicked out of our first class. We had Suzanne and Mitchell with us which didn't help matters. Just wait until you practice positions!

The Jones' said...

Thanks for the warning, haha! We were rolling reading the blog!!

Denise said...

That's funny Amy. When we did that with my preg with Maddie, I remember laying on the floor practicing something and Danny telling me I had a hole in my pants, right in the crotch area. All we could do is laugh until the class was over.

Ditto, what Donna said about labor. But it is good to do what you're doing. It is all part of your first preg.