Friday, September 7, 2007

A Taste of the South for my Northern Sister-In-Law




Oh, where do I even begin in describing my sister-in-law? She is truly one of a kind in so many ways. She's hilarious, completely impulsive, always up for a good time, extremely ambitious and a female version of her dear father. For those of you who do not know the story, the weekend I met Brian at my friend Brett's wedding, Lynnie marched up to me at the rehearsal dinner and asked if I'd be interested in marrying her brother because she could see herself spending holidays with me. Little did any of us know that two years later I would indeed be marrying her brother.
Another tidbit about Lynnie is that she is a proud Northerner through and through! She loves the blizzards, accents, cable knit sweaters and of course the beauty of New England. However, after living in Boston, CT, and NJ for almost two decades, Lynnie decided it was time to hit the South and so she moved to our neck of the woods. Bless her Northern heart....she just happened to pick the hottest summer on record in NC to join the ranks of those of us stowed away in our air conditioned homes until mid-September. She was a trooper (well, she did have her raving fits about the heat now and again) and decided she was going to give the South her all. Over the last eight weeks I've tried my best to make her a Southern belle. I couldn't wait to introduce her to the simple joys of sweet tea and good 'ole Danny's BBQ. She never caved. However, today I was able to convince her to join me at one of the cutest tearooms in the area. She was a real sport even agreeing to play dress up in the feathery hats and colorful boas. After sipping on tea, nibbling on scones and lots of lively conversation I believe Lynnie truly enjoyed her taste of the South. We had a great time!

One thing I must note, however...in two weeks my dear sister-in-law is moving back North to Massachusetts after only 2 1/2 months "roughin" it in the South. Again, this deserves another, "Bless her little Northern heart"....

12 comments:

Dolly said...

hahahah! I'm laughing! this is a great post and I was so excited to see a new updated one. That's awesome that you and Lynnie got together for tea Southern style! I'm so excited to see her next weekend. She's a lot of fun!

Denise said...

Nice new post Amy. You both look cute. You can't even tell you're pregnant!

Teecy said...

Wow...funny stories and I didn't know Lynnie was moving again!
Growing up in the south there are many things that I didn't realize were "southern" and now, bless my little southern heart, I am being teased for accents, "yes maam," dressing up, and other things that we would consider "proper." Apparently the south really does have a distinct culture! (and accent...although I'm still not convinced that I have a southern accent!)

R & K Vallecorse said...

How in the world did you ever get my personal pockt cyclone to dress up and sit and sip tea. Remarkable indeed!!!

Donna said...

I'm laughing at the picture and the post. Is she really moving back up North because she didn't like the South? That's funny! That's nice of you to take her to tea and attempt to get her to try Southern things. Amy, you're a gem. Oh, and I'm so glad you got a new post going! I love when you blog!

Amy said...

Well, she got a great job opp. so she had to take it. However, she is so giddy about saying bye-bye to the south that she can't even hide it. She admitted she was meant to be in New England and she doesn't think she'll be a resident of any southern states in the future.

The Jones' said...

Hilarious! SO glad I got to meet that northerner...but sad to see her go so quick. We didn't even get to watch JoePa together! Your blog is perfect, and I agree with Donna, you're a true gem!

Unknown said...

Amy, I just clicked on R&Ks blog and there are some cute pics of you on there! They sure love their DIL!

Amy said...

Hi Hannah...yes, my FIL is sweet, but those pictures are embarrassing! I mean he posted pictures from Thanksgiving of '06 and we look like we just woke up (which we had).

Dolly said...

Hannah, you make me laugh. You're right. They reallllllly love their DIL and it's nice! You would pick up on that though. That's what I love about you!

Teecy said...

hey, i just read a comment on dolly's blog about a raliegh trip? did you girls have fun? what was the occasion? i'm sure you are in the process of blogging about it! (hint, hint!)

Teecy said...

oh, and p.s.
wah, me want to be there too!